This warm and nourishing soup works equally well for adults and children alike. That said, there are always (at least in our house) a number of adaptations required to suit tiny pallets. In other words, the entire soup needs to be stripped back in order to have any chance of passing the taste test. To make this soup more appealing for already ‘busy’ evenings, I’ve broken the recipe directions into two parts, dependent upon who you are cooking for. And if you happen to be making this just for you, then be sure to make extra, as it makes fore even better leftovers the following day . . .
Coconut Chicken Noodle Soup
Inspired by Donna Hay
Reworked by Shelley Kamil
(Serves 3 adults or 2 adults & 2 kids)
4 cups organic chicken stock (or chicken soup if you have on hand)
3 chicken breasts
1 thumb size piece of ginger, grated
Vermicelli noodles (the brown rice ones are even better)
2tsp fish sauce
6 kaffir lime leaves
Juice of half a lime
1 cup light coconut milk
1 bunch broccolini, chopped
1 bunch bok choy, washed and chopped
1/4 cup flaked coconut, lightly toasted
Himalayan Pink Sea Salt to taste
Version 1 -Entertaining kids and adults.
1. In a large saucepan, heat the chicken soup / stock and bring to the boil. Add the chicken fillets, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for around 15 minutes.
2. in a separate pot, cook the noodles in boiling water as per instructions on pack. Once cooked, drain and refresh under cold water, set aside.
3. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove form the pot. Shred the chicken by using two forks to pull it apart. Return to the pot and continue to cook on a gentle simmer. Add the noodles, some sea salt and if you’re game sneak in some broccolini. Then it’s ready to serve for the littles. If you’re eating shortly after, leave the chicken noodle soup on the stove, covered until you’re ready for dinner.
4. Then, for the adults, bring the soup to the boil. Add the ginger, kaffir lime leaves and fish sauce, stir and cook for another minute or two.
5. Reduce to a simmer, add the coconut milk, lime juice, broccolini and bok choy, stir and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
6. Season with sea salt and serve with a sprinkle of toasted flaked coconut xx
Version 2 – Adults Only (or adventurous kids)
1. In a large saucepan, heat the chicken soup / stock, bring to the boil.
2. In a separate pot, cook the noodles in boiling water as per instructions on pack. Once cooked, drain and rinse under cold water, set aside.
3. To the chicken soup, add the ginger, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, lime juice and coconut milk, stir to combine.
4. Add the chicken fillets to the broth. Reduce to simmer and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes.
5. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the pot and shred using two forks to pull it apart. Return to the pot along with the noodles, bok choy and broccolini, continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
6. To serve, divide between serving bowls, add a squeeze of lime, a sprinkle of sea salt and top with toasted flaked coconut xx