This soup can be whipped up in a matter of minutes. It aids in the fight against inflammation and works to promote good gut health. The ingredient list is where the magic happens; Turmeric for its amazing anti-inflammatory prowess, honey and coconut oil, for their anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties, plus Miso paste, a fermented soy product that works as a probiotic providing your body with the good bacteria it needs to support a healthy gut. Plus, with a hearty dose of veggies, you have a hard working, soothing soup packed with nutrients. If you’re avoiding honey, try replacing it with maple syrup for a delicious toffee flavour xx
Healing Sweet Potato Honey and Miso Soup
Recipe by Shelley Kamil
1tsp coconut oil
1 shallot, finely diced
1/2 head broccoli
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
4 cups boiling water
2tbs organic miso paste
Juice of Half a lime
Generous handful spinach leaves
1 spring onion finely sliced
1. Heat 1tsp coconut oil in a saucepan over a medium to low flame. Add the shallots and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until slightly translucent. Add the sweet potato and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for a further 4-5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook for another minute or so.
2. Add the boiling water to the pot, bring to the boil, then lower the flame to a gentle simmer.
3. In a separate small mixing bowl combine the miso, honey, turmeric and lime plus 1-2tbs boiling water, whisk to combine, then add to the soup.
4. Continue to cook until the sweet potato has softened, approx. 8-10 minutes, adding the spinach leaves toward the end.
5. Serve with a sprinkling of spring onions, Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and an extra squeeze of lime for good measure xx