Let’s talk leftovers and the power to transform a healthy dinner into a dreamy lunch. Inspired by a new client, I went on a mission to create a healthier and clean version of the (already pretty healthy) Korean dish Salmon Bulgogi. And I think we can all agree, the busier life becomes, the smarter we need to be. Bulgogi is a delicious marinate that you can use on just about any protein of choice for a sweet and tangy flavour. By switching a couple of the key ingredients like plain sugar to healthier alternatives like coconut sugar you can be sure your body will thank you and love you for your efforts. The fun part begins the following day when you cleverly use your leftovers to create an easy Kale, Plum, Salmon & Sesame Salad. Both recipes are below, hope they bring you an easy weeknight solution as well as a healthy alternative for lunch xxx
4 x salmon fillets
1tbs sesame oil
1tbs brown rice vinegar
1tbs heaped of coconut sugar
1tbs raw honey
1 thumb size piece of ginger, grated
1 clove garlic minced (optional if you’re not a fan of garlic can leave it out)
Juice of half a lemon
1tbs sesame seeds
2 spring onions sliced on the diagonal
1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Place the salmon fillets in a sealable container, cover with marinate and refrigerate for between 30 minutes and 2hrs.
2. Pre heat oven to 180/200degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Transfer the salmon fillets to the baking tray, reserving any leftover marinate. Place salmon in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove form the oven, sprinkle with sesame & spring onions and return to oven for another couple of minutes or until slightly golden and cooked to your liking.
3. In a small saucepan, heat the leftover marinate to a gentle simmer. Transfer salmon fillets to a serving dish, drizzle with the marinate and enjoy xx
Kale, Plum, Salmon & Sesame Salad
Note: For lunch I prefer to use a half serving of salmon where as in the evening I use a whole fillet. It would probably be wiser to switch this around, but I prefer a heartier meal at night.
1/2 serve or 1 full serve of Salmon Bulgogi
4 kale leaves, trimmed and blanched
3 strawberries sliced
Handful snow peas, blanched
1 plum, sliced
1/4 avocado, sliced
1 spring onion, sliced
6-8 pecans, lightly toasted
1tsp sesame seeds
Juice of half a lemon
Pink Sea Salt to taste
1. Heat a small non stick skillet over a low flame. Flake cooked salmon and add to pan. Stir gently and cook for 2-3 minutes or until sizzling and golden, set aside.
2. Blanch the kale and snow peas. Immerse in boiling hot water for 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold water.
3. To assemble salad, begin with the kale, top with snow peas, strawberries, sliced plum, flaked salmon and the then top with avocado,spring onions, pecans and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Voila, you’re done and ready to go xx